Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Reminders of Rome

This morning while Roy was in class, I took the opportunity to explore the older areas of Lyon. The city was first began on the Fourviere Hill, and was the capitol of Roman Gaul. Because of this, there are still Roman ruins at the top of the hill. After feeling like a waste from waking up past 11:30, I decided to take the climb up to explore and reaffirm my self-worth after waking up so late. Apparently this is field trip time for the surrounding schools because I saw many groups of children touring the area and running away from their chaperons, shouting in joyful bursts of French. The area consists of two coliseums, one smaller one next to a larger one. There are remnants of stacks of stones that seem like they may have once formed little rooms. Right now they have a large stage set up in preparation for Nuits de Fourivere a summer nights like event that hosts many different shows, concerts, operas, and performances. I looked through the program and saw they would be showing performances like West Side Story (which unfortunately will probably be all in French), La Traviata, Tracy Chapman, Blur, and a few other interesting shows. I may have to make it a point to attend one of these, unless they are only weekends (as weekends are our travel time out of Lyon). While I was wandering around, though, I was treated to a rehearsal by some French group consisting of a band and a lead male and female vocal. Tired from the climb up, it was a welcome break to sit on the steps and enjoy some free music. When I was content, I made the walk back down to our apartment so that Roy would be able to get in after he was done with classes. Tonight we are attending a cocktail party that the law school is throwing for everyone, and will probably go out with everyone for our friend's birthday. More adventures to come!


1 comment:

  1. Leah! So glad to see youre having an amazing time in France,... you must go see Tracy Chapman. I always find myself singing that song "Fast Car" haha.

    ReplyDelete