Thursday, June 25, 2009

Morning in the Market

This morning, I woke up extra late after staying up to watch (as much as I could) of the National Championship baseball game. Since it started at 6pm at home, that meant it began at 1am here. Roy so far has pulled three sleepless nights in a row. As late as I woke up, however, I felt I still needed to be productive, and ventured out past my little nook of Vieux Lyon (not after having a cappuccino and crepe at Cafe' de la Ficelle though). Two rivers pass through Lyon, the Rhone and the Soane. On most mornings the markets set up along the quays (streets) along the rivers. It's just one of the many things I love about France. I love the lazy way of life, I love not owning a car, I love that walking into someone's cafe or shop is like walking into someone's home, which means you greet them first before anything else. Of course, it goes without saying, I love that the main focus in French culture is solely around food. I've read that the French spend more of their annual income on food than anything else. One thing that makes French cuisine so tasty is because the French normally stick to cooking food that is currently in season, and right now, it's raspberry season!
So continuing my walk across the bridge, I came upon a bustling market. As it was already noon, many vendors were beginning to pick up. There was quite a bit still out, though. I smiled as I walked through, taking in all the beautiful sights. Produce of bright orange carrots, red yellow and green peppers, onions, potatoes, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, and fresh snap beans all lined rows and rows of tables. Then came more tables full of different types of fruits, but mostly taken up by crimson cherries, red-orange strawberries, and even deeper-red raspberries. The sight was too tempting, and 2 Euro for a crate full of raspberries was just too good to pass up. As I walked along, I began to wonder what the decomposing odor was that was so strong, and realized I was passing the cheese stand. I just appreciated the fromage and all its exotic varieties, but happily continued on. The butcher shops made me feel somewhat inadequate as I realized that I knew nothing about picking out all the different cuts of meats.
Finally, I purchased a load of potatoes and a loaf of bread and made my way back up to our apartment. Inspired by all the French cuisine and my market experience, I decided to get a little fancy with lunch by incorporating my fresh raspberries. I made mashed potatoes with my recent purchase and cooked pork chops in beef bouillon in another pan. In a separate pan, I made my first fruit sauce, creating a syrup from boiled sugar and water then mashing my raspberries into it. Immediately it turned into a perfect glaze with a rich, sweet aroma. I spread it over the pork chops, creating the tastiest, most satisfying meal I've made yet in Lyon. Tomorrow we leave for Paris, where more culinary delights await!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm dont know if I'm too late with this and youve already left for paris, butttt if you have time you must go to the Laduree'! http://www.laduree.fr/

    it's this world famous bakery + tea room. you'd absolutely love it.

    have a great time!

    xoxo meesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lady,...
    http://www.ryanlukejohns.com/runseurope/index.html

    Saw this today and thought of you. Read up on this guy!

    xoxo Meesh

    ReplyDelete