Sunday, July 26, 2009

Au Revoir France

As I sit here in JFK airport on a nine hour layover, I can't help but suck up time by browsing through the summer's pictures and thinking about all that I've experienced. Though I am happy to be on US soil again and see everyone I've missed, I can't help but think about those luxuries that I won't be able to experience here. The main component here I am referencing is the culture as a whole. Once I get home I know I will return to the work of waking up before the sun, teaching all day, then coming home to continue to work on lesson planning or grading while watching Oprah. I know as I drive on the interstate I will remember how I did as everyone else in Lyon, walking everywhere or taking the metro or train for longer journeys. A walk through the city at ten in the morning showed a city with local business owners were just setting up. There's so many things to love about this place. I love the lazy way of life, I love not owning a car, I love that walking into someone's cafe or shop is like walking into their home, which means you greet them before anything else. Above all, there is one special aspect I will miss the most and never ever forget when I think about my time in France: the FOOD! Being in the gastronomic capital of the world offered a new and exciting adventure each time we ate somewhere. I had a few unnerving experiences (which normally was a result of closing my eyes and putting my finger on a menu item), but the majority of my eating escapades ended in success and a state of stuffed bliss each time. When it comes to food, the French know what they're doing. Eating at a bouchon for lunch takes about two hours- because you are visiting among friends and actually enjoying and savoring every bite. For my last entry, I'd like to compile a list of favorites (and some surprises that I could have done without) to say goodbye to France. Bon appetite!

Favorite menu most commonly ordered by me: beouf (beef or steak)covered with a sauce (either wine or cheese based) served with gratin dauphinoise (an amazing creamy cheese au gratin potato dish)

Scary dishes: Capaccio de bouef (this is a thin slice of raw beef); Quenelle (ground up creamed fish poached with egg in a loaf with fishy sauce- this was my first meal in France, and I ate at least half of it unaware of what I was eating); foie gras (liver). The last scary dish I do not know the name of was a first course of raw duck I accidentally ordered on our one year anniversary.

Luxury splurge dish: scallops with white asparagus in a lemon butter sauce, snails in a garlic butter marinade (you pry the little guys out with a special fork and clamp!)

Delicious desserts: creme brulee (of course), chocolat fondant, lemon tarte, and meringue just to name a few favorites.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this blog as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Hopefully you got a little taste of France as well. Au revoir!




2 comments:

  1. aww leah! so glad you're coming home but i'l miss your blog oh so much. you're a wonderful writer and although baton rouge may not be as beautifully exciting and wonderful as europe, you should continue blogging

    xoxo meesh

    ReplyDelete